I made a delicious meal the other day. It had carbs, spinach, and Italian sausage. I was in my glory! Oh wait, the best part: the top was covered in melted mozzarella cheese! Oh delish!! While this meal was yummy, it was not the most healthiest I cooked, yet it was on the lighter side.
Ingredients: fat free ricotta cheese, marinara sauce, 2 cups fresh spinach, package of mushrooms, 1/2 onion, half a box of rigatoni pasta, 3 italian sausages, reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1. Fill a pot of water and place the sausages in the water. Bring water to a boil and boil sausages until they are cooked all the way through or close enough. When they are cooked, take them out and cut into slices. Set aside for incorporation into the pasta.
2. In a large pot place a bit of olive oil and chop the 1/2 onion. Cook onion until it is soft.
3. Place mushrooms into the onion pot and cook. When the mushrooms look browned, add the spinach to cook down.
4. In a separate bowl add a cup of ricotta cheese and a cup of marinara sauce. Whisk together. If you want a thicker sauce add less marinara, or runnier, add more marinara. Depends on your tastes!
5. Cook the rigatonis in a pot until they are al dante.
6. Combine the pasta, sausage slices, and spinach mix together in a pyrex dish. Add the pasta sauce and mix thoroughly.
7. Bake at 350 with the dish covered with foil for 30 minutes. Then uncover until the cheese is browned on top.
Hope you enjoy this amazing dish!