Here is me channeling my inner Julia Child. I remember watching the film “Julie and Julia” and the famous dish that Julia Child mastered, and in turn, Julie tried to master. I needed something this weekend that was aromatic, hearty, and delicious. Obviously, I wanted something challenging too and boy oh boy was this!
I will preface this recipe by saying only prepare this meal if you have the time to prepare it. This takes at least a 1.5 hour prep period, then 6-8 hours cooking in a slow cooker. Clearly, it takes a lot of time and energy to make this meal. But it tastes so good!
Ingredients: onion, white fingerling potatoes, can of whole tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 pounds of beef chuck, 6 pieces of applewood bacon, dry red wine, crimini mushrooms, baby carrots, beef broth, thyme, salt, and pepper.
1. Rinse the beef chuck off and cut into 1 inch pieces. Now, there are multiple choices of beef chuck at your grocery store. You could buy stew meat so you dont have to cut the pieces up yourself. I bought what was on sale and it worked out quite well.
2. Cook the pieces of bacon in a skillet. Once golden brown, place the cooked bits on a plate with pieces of paper towel to remove the grease.
3. Set the grease aside in a small container. You will use this to cook the meat and veggies in.
4. place a table spoon of grease in the skillet. Heat until lightly smoking. Put a bit of the meat in the skillet. Add salt and pepper on the meat. Sear the meat on each side for 1-3 minutes.
5. When the meat is cooked (does not need to be thoroughly) place pieces of meat in the slow cooker. Place less than a 1/4 cup of red wine in skillet. Swish the wine and grease around and put in the slow cooker. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all the meat is cooked.
6. Place a table spoon of grease in skillet. Cook the chopped onion in the skillet until its soft.
7. When the onion is cooked, add a cup of carrots and a table spoon of tomato paste. Once cooked, place in the slow cooker.
8. Place a table spoon of grease in skillet. Cook the crimini mushrooms until cooked well. Set aside to place in stew later.
9. Cut the white fingerling potatoes and tomatoes from the can and place in the slow cooker.
10. Place 1 cup of red wine and beef broth over veggies and beef in slow cooker. Cook for 6-8 hours.
11. I made this with egg noodles kind of like a stroganoff. So delish. YUM!!!