I bought three pounds of turkey to make both this dish and my curry shepards pie. As you have probably perceived through my posts, I am not a big meat person. However, I rather enjoy turkey; it’s lean yet tasty and cooks easily. I have also not made a meatloaf ever in my life, so I thought “what the heck?” lets try this! But, of course being myself, and not being able to just cook a meat loaf I decided to add a little bit of something extra: cheese and spinach. This has morphed this meaty recipe into a florentine recipe, hence the name. The spinach went deliciously well with the tomato-infused turkey, cooks easily, and doesn’t dry out like some beef meatloaves do. I hope you enjoy!!
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 1.5 pounds of turkey, Italian bread crumbs, mozzarella cheese, pack of frozen spinach, 1/2 onion, pasta sauce
1. Mix the turkey, eggs, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, and 1/2 onion in a bowl. Set in fridge, until you are finished with the spinach.
2. Thaw your spinach and drain. Mix 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and spinach together.
3. Place 1/3 of turkey mix in greased oven dish. Place spinach on top of that turkey mix. Layer the rest of the turkey mix on top of that, sort of like a loaf of bread.
4. Cook in 375 degree oven for 45 min. Place 1 cup of pasta sauce on top of meat and cook an additional 15 min.
5. Cute full pieces for a beautiful presentation!