Happy 2015! I finally made a dish worth posting about. WOOHOO!
This recipe is fairly simple and well-worth your culinary time. Not too much of a time investment and tastes super yummy at the end. Unlike other recipes, I am going to add a section at the end of how I would tweak this recipe in the future.
Ingredients: 4 chicken thighs (can be breasts if you don’t like dark meat), 3 different color peppers, 1 yellow onion, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 can of chickpeas, 3 cups chicken stock, 3 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp ground cumin, 2 tsp salt, garlic, 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, touch of black pepper, olive oil
1. In a large sauce pan, place a tbsp of olive oil and saute chopped onions. Once nice and soft, add matchsticks of bell peppers until they are nice and soft.
2. While peppers and onions cooking, add tomatoes, chickpeas, and all seasoning to crock pot. Stir well.
3. Clean chicken and take skin off. Place chicken in crock pot on top of tomato mix.
4. Place cooked bell peppers and onions on top of chicken.
5. Add chicken stock on top of bell peppers. Make sure that the chicken pieces are submerged in order to cook in crock pot.
6. Cook on high for 5 hours and turn down to low until you are ready to eat.
Overall, this recipe is really tasty and I enjoyed cooking it. I did though think it was a bit lacking in substance so I cooked a can of black beans and placed that in the bottom of my bowl and put the stew and chicken over it. I also added some low fat mexican cheese to each bowl of soup I ate to add some flavor. I would suggest to either serve this soup with beans or over spanish rice in the future. It needed some thickness to it. What do you all think?? Happy crock-potting!