The past few days have been a bit chilly, now that it’s fall. Autumn is upon us, and so is the warm and delicious cooking. One of the dishes that I love to cook the most is anything with eggs in it. I clarify this as being: anything with eggs in it that’s savory. Sweets, like baked ones, are always yummy, so there doesn’t need a season to cook those.
I googled some side dishes for Mexican cooking and stumbled across this one. It’s a sort of fritatta, with eggs and cheese and spinach. It looked super tasty so I thought: “I might as well try it.”
Ingredients: low fat ricotta cheese, 5 eggs, oil, frozen spinach pack, pack of mushrooms, low fat milk, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, and olive oil
- Defrost the spinach. Squeeze dry until it has little to no water.
- Slice all of the mushrooms.
- In a pan, place a tbsp of olive oil and heat on medium. When hot, add the mushrooms and cook until browned. The original recipe included onions, and I didn’t have any so didn’t include them, but a few would be a nice addition.
- Once mushrooms cook, set aside and let cool. Once cool, add the spinach and mix thoroughly with 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- In a separate bowl, mix 5 eggs, 1 cup of ricotta cheese, and 1/2 cup of low fat milk. Combine thoroughly.
- Place the spinach and mushrooms in a baking dish. Pour the egg mix over the spinach.
- Cook at 350F for 30-45 min until browned on top.